- Category: Uncategorised
- Published: Monday, 04 August 2014 19:23
- Written by VincentTroia (Administrator)
- Hits: 3732
Kayak & Canoe Races
This page to be updated for the 2016 festival.
Kayak & Canoe Race Registration
Download the registration form here. Same day registrations accepted at the Lake in Bradys Run Park.
ORTC OFFICIAL PADDLESPORT RACE RULES
1. Registration: Registration begins at 8:00am at Bradys Run Park Lake.
2. Distressed Participant: Competitors must stop and aid any racer in serious personal danger during the race.
3. Personal Flotation Device (PFD): Race participants must wear securely fastened U.S. Coast Guard approved life jackets & a whistle at all times. NO EXCEPTIONS.
4. Safety Lines: Watercraft must have a 10’ safety line that is attached to the front of the boat.
5. Flotation: Flotation shall be sufficient to float the boat if swamped. Additional flotation (such as float bags) is encouraged.
6. Helmets: Hard-shell helmets are recommended.
7. Age Restriction: No person under the age of 13 years old is permitted in the race boats.
8. Smoking: No smoking permitted.
9. Alcohol: No alcoholic beverages consumed before or during the race.
10. Electronic Devices: No personal sound producing devices such as phones, MP3 players etc. that would prevent racers from hearing people around them.
11. Course: The flatwater course is a 1-mile loop that starts near the boat launch. Buoys mark the points, which racers must pass on the outside to qualify at each corner of the lake. The center of the lake inside the corner buoys is for recreational kayaking & fishing.
12. Start: All contestants must be present at 9:00 am to receive your start time and receive final race instructions. Racers enter the water at the launch ramp and proceed to the starting point marked by the green buoys. Race course is counterclockwise around the buoys at each corner of the lake, ending at the end buoys
13. Finish: Racers exit the water at the launch ramp
14. Race Numbers: Racer’s official number must be worn by the bow and paddlers and must be visible at the finish line to be timed correctly. Race numbers can be kept as souvenirs. Any boat withdrawn from the race must notify the officials immediately and surrender their racing number.
15. Time Trail: Boats will be started in in two-minute intervals. Racer’s times determined by subtracting the start time from the end time. The time trails is a race against time traversing one loop around the lake, approximately one mile.
16. Passing: When a boat is overtaking another boat in the race, it is the duty of the overtaking craft to keep clear of the boat being overtaken. The boat being overtaken is not allowed to alter its course to create difficulties for the overtaking craft.
17. Weather: Race is held rain or shine. Safety officials will call the race due to water levels, unsafe conditions due to inclement weather, natural hazards, or any cause for race disruption. Race will delayed or stopped if there is a storm with lightning approaching or occurring. If lighting occurs during the race, the race at that point is canceled. All participants shall return immediately to the shore and take cover. No one is permitted to return to the water until 30 minutes after the last lightning strike.
18. Stand Up Paddleboard: Male & Female Solo Short (≤12.5-foot) and Long (≤14-foot).
19. Kayak: Male & Female Solo Short (≤11-foot) and Long (>11-foot) Kayaks shall be propelled only by double bladed paddles. Age groups: (1) Juniors (13 to 19 years old) (2) Adult (20 to 39 years old) (3) Masters (40 to 59 years old) (4) Seniors (≥ 60) Kayaks:
20. Canoes: Open Class. Canoes must be of open design with no coverings from front to rear and cannot be over 18 feet in length. No sculls or Olympic type racing canoes are allowed. Canoes shall be propelled solely by means of single-bladed paddles. No weights can be added to the canoe. Anyone under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardian as their partner.
21. Permits: A Beaver County Launch permit and regulation sticker is not required for this race.
22. Race Disqualification: Failure to follow these rules will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fees and/or awards. Race officials can disqualify racers for unsportsmanlike conduct, for not starting or ending between the start and end buoys, for not circumnavigating all the buoys. The official judges reserve the right to make all final decisions in regards to any part of the race.
23. Questions: Rule questions must be submitted to the race committee whose decisions are final.
24. Racers are subject to fulfilling rules established by the PA Fish and Game Commission for boating
25. Rentals: All participants are to provide their own self-propelled watercraft. Limited rentals.
26. Awards: Race finish times and awards presentation will occur following the race. Medals will be awarded for first, second, and third place in each category.
27. Fees: Registration forms must include the full entry fee made payable to: Ohio River Trail Council. Mail completed form to 1100 Pennsylvania Av, Monaca, Pa 15061. Registration permits the racer to have one qualifying loop. Racers can reregister to make unlimited qualifying loops for $20 each. Monies collected for the race are considered donations, thus no refunds provided if officials cancel the race. Pre-registered entrants keep their T-shirt and goodie bag.
28. Changes: Classification changes by contestants must be provided to the registrar prior to 9 a.m. Absolutely no changes in partners, heats or classification will be made at the starting point. Contestants will have to pay again and a new start time shall be assigned.
29. Waivers: Participant Waivers must be signed in order to participate in race. Guardian’s printed name and signature is required on the waiver for all persons under the age of 18.
30. More information is available at www.ohiorivertrail.org or call 724-728-2625.